Sunday, April 26, 2009

In a panic about gaining a pound...

Weigh in yesterday was a bit upsetting, but not a total loss.

I gained 8/10ths of a pound.

:(

I had wanted to lose 8/10ths of a pound so I could get a paperclip and so I could be at my lowest weight in over 20 years. Now I'm 1.6 lbs away from my paper clip.

I'm not down and out, though. I know exactly what I did. Or rather didn't do. I didn't exercise. I went on that fabulous bike ride last Sunday and that was it, except for 15 minutes on the Gazelle at lunch time on Friday (which, by the way, I'm still incredibly sore from—can you believe it, only 15 minutes and 2 days later I still can't walk from being so sore).

So this is why is wasn't a total bust. I am motivated to exercise every day this week. Even if it is for 15 minutes at lunch on the Gazelle. I already went on another Sunday morning bike ride (an hour and 45 minutes, 1800 calories burned, AND I found a new trail).

Can I just say something about the Gazelle? I don't know if you guys have ever tried a Gazelle or even heard of one, but this is an EXCELLENT exercise machine. We bought ours like 10 years ago (or so) and we've used it maybe a total of 50 times. Hubby started using it last week and for like 3 days afterward he was complaining of how his legs were sore. I thought this was a little funny because he'd only been on the machine for like 10 or 15 minutes.

UNTIL FRIDAY.

I was so upset that I hadn't exercised at all last week so I said to myself, I'm at least going to exercise for 15 minutes. So I haphazardly hopped onto the Gazelle and went to town on it for 15 minutes. I should have known something was up when I stepped off the thing and could barely walk. Not because of pain, but because of weakness. My legs were so wobbly. Then I woke up Saturday morning and almost couldn't walk. I was so darn sore from that measly 15 minutes on the Gazelle.

I'm still sore—2 and a half days later.

So now I owe hubby a huge apology for thinking he was being silly for acting so sore after only 10 minutes on the machine.

So anyway, this week I'm going to exercise every day. Be it walking, running or a few minutes on the Gazelle. I will lose this week!

On a slightly different subject, something sad happened the other night. I got an email from the Pound for Pound challenge (see my badge over to the right and down a little). It told me that it's time to log in my weight loss so they can donate 1 pound of food to people in need for every full pound I've lost.

I couldn't remember when I signed up for the challenge so I didn't know when my start date was for my weight loss period so I went to their website and saw that the challenge began on December 15, 2008 and ends April 27, 2009. So I went to the Weight Watchers website and pulled up their absolutely spectacular new Weight Tracker and punched in a date range of December 15th the current date and that's when something very depressing happened. I discovered that I'd actually gained a pound during that time span.

Gulp.

I can't enter in a gain. Do you think they'll take a pound of food back from the starving children if I post a gain? Ugh!

So now what? Do I post the 1 pound gain? Will they even allow me to post a gain??

I'm so panicked about this. I only have until tomorrow to enter my results.

Do I just not post my results?

They'll think I forgot or worse yet, they'll think I'm one of those dead beats who starts a challenge and never finishes it.

I'm so upset. What do I do???

6 comments:

Dr Wednesday said...

MANY a' times while I was growing up I received the Virtues of a White Lie speech. Did anyone else get this parent-child talk?? Anyhow, a product of my environment- I think I would post a 1 lb loss- and then really celebrate internally when I do lose it... because you definitely are going to!!

But I don't advocate lying to anyone who's uncomfortable about it- so good luck making up your mind.

Anonymous said...

I think I would not respond, but send $20 to a really good charity. Maybe I would respond and tell them that, but not participate

Karyn said...

Be true, Cara. You will not be comfortable with being untruthful. I am sure they won't take a pound of food away - maybe you can offer to pay for a pound of food in lieu of losing the weight. Just a thought.

What is a gazelle?

F. McButter Pants said...

Tell the truth....then donate to a food bank or something. That isn't the only way to feed the hungry. I can see why your upset though. Your overall weight loss is stellar and you atittude about your journey, and where you are now, are remarkable! Keep it up...you are so close to that darn clip!

MaryFran said...

I was so interested to hear the responses for your pound for pound dilema. You see, I heard that it was time to put in our poundage and low and behold I have no pounds to post. I've been in a quandry about what to do!

Sorry to hear about your less than stellar week on the scales. Sounds like you have a plan to fix the problem!

Nichole said...

I love it when we can be so in tune with our body that we get "back on the wagon" with a little gain.

It ensures we'll never fall into the fat trap again!

Keep worrying over that pound and it'll keep you motivated to keep working =D