Thursday, April 30, 2009

I'm perplexed ...

I wonder. Can the brain invent smells that really aren't there?

I was driving home from work last night and all of the sudden, out of the blue, I get a huge whiff of potato chips and dip. But just for one brief second. Then it was gone. But the windows were rolled up and there was no one and nothing in the car except for me. How did this happen?

But of course NOW I'm craving chips and dip so bad I can't see straight! I was doing fine, too. No cravings all week. Ugh!

I went walking again last night with my WW group. There were actually fewer of us last night than the night before. Oh, well. We had a blast anyways. I post a picture later. Another lady took a picture of us all and she's gonna email it to me.

I'm in a dilemma. I know, you're saying, Cara when are you NOT in a dilemma. And, no, it's not the Pound for Pound Challenge. :] It's my weight. I'm steady gaining this week and I have no idea why.

I have not splurged or over indulged. Not even on Saturday or Sunday. I've eaten within my points every day. I've exercised every day, but not over doing it, so I'm sure it's not muscle gain. It's not around that time of the month. I just don't get it. I've been up between 2/10ths and 4/10ths every day. I've accumulated a total of 1.8 pounds since weigh in on Saturday. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Maybe it is the exercise. I thought my legs were sore, but I realize now its just my right calf. I think I pulled a muscle last Friday and it's still nagging me. My legs, other than that, really feel fine. I only did walking twice this week and I have to be honest with myself and say that I did not over exert myself there. The walking was more like walking through a park or around a mall. I didn't burn alot of calories either time. I did the Gazelle twice this week but only for 15 minutes each time. But this is supposed to help me lose weight not gain.

I know they say you gain muscle when you exercise. But this is ridiculous. I'm not really exercising. I'm just moving more. So there shouldn't be any muscle gain to it. Then what the heck is it?!?

All I want is to lose 100 pounds. That's all I want. Is that so much to ask. I swear, I'm NOT sabotaging myself this time. I haven't had any of the tendencies I had before. I'm steady and focused and loving it. I don't think I'm stressed about anything. I mean, any more than usual. Yes, my life is plenty stressful, but who's isn't right now anyways.

Oh, well. Steady on. I was joking with my WW leader last night that I hope I can get my 100 pounds by NEXT Thanksgiving. I was supposed to reach it this past Thanksgiving. The way I'm going, it might be Thanksgiving of 2010.

5 comments:

F. McButter Pants said...

One time I was in the car with a dear friend and I was WANTING chocolate....really thinking hard about chocolate. Allof a sudden my friend says "can you smell chocolate"? I told her I must have some powerful thoughts!

The weight loss, lack of it, would drive me to distraction. If I was doing all the right things and still didn't lose weight I don't know if I could hang on. I sure wish I had some helpful hint that would help you out. But, alas I have none. Keep up the great work.

Dr Wednesday said...

Maybe if you posted your stats, as in:

Day Points eaten APs earned

or any such details. Maybe a reader will trouble-spot something you missed?

In theory, diet should result in weight loss... I'm sorry very much the scale is fighting you!

Carol said...

I think your heart monitor is giving you a false sense of how many calories you're burning. Sorry, I know you don't want to hear that but your numbers are out of the norm.

Gaining a couple tenths now and again can just be normal fluctuations. But if it's all adding up (and sounds like it is) I think you need to take out the old magnifying glass and take a closer look to see what the problem is. Anyway, you're so close, hang in there and it will pay off!

Kelly the Happy Texan said...

How's your sodium intake?

I've read that sore muscles can actually retain water. Don't know if it's true but I'd go with it. :)

Also, I've read that you can expect a gain sometimes with exercise but it will drop off in the end.

Just keep exercising. And, you didn't hear this from me, but consider dropping your points allowance by a couple of points for a few days to get you back to losing mode. Just an idea. :)And don't eat yoru AP and weekly points for 1 week.

jinxxxygirl said...

Cara

No matter how you sugar coat it the walking and the Gazelle are just not in the same caliber as your running as far as burning calories. Even your bike riding isn't. I think you know it and its niggling in the back of your mind that your no longer putting in quite the exercise level you were.Even when i'm running i know when i'm sluffing it off and when i'm WORKING. Not many things burn calories as quickly or efficiently as running. I think if you no longer want to run or can run or if you can't find an exercise you like that burns as many calories your gonna have to bite the bullet and cut back on your calories to at least stop the gaining. I feel like being 'active' has been a priority with you lately and thats good. But its not the same as 'exercising' if you know what i'm trying to say. Now it may be you just need to do these alternative activities for a longer period of time and in that way you'll burn more. I know what it is to be frustrated with the scale. That little bugger only dropped 1/2 pound for me this month. Bah! You'll figure it out Cara. Just hang in there. You gotta put your foot down to this back sliding! JInx!