Saturday, March 21, 2009

Weigh in... Loving it!

Weigh in this morning!

I lost 1.6 pounds!!!

Yea!!!!

I lost the 8/10ths I gained last week plus another 8/10ths. Woo hoo!!

I ran Saturday morning (of course, my 10K) then Sunday through Wednesday nights but I didn't do any running (or walking) Thursday or Friday night. But that's okay. I earned 39 activity points for the week, so I figured I was okay to not run/walk those two nights.

I'm really enjoying running in the evenings, though. I was talking with hubby about it this evening and I think the main reason I love it so much is because I can do it. I never thought I'd ever be a runner or even be able to run for any amount of time. But here I am, running a 10K and not even batting an eye. I still can't believe how easy it was to run that 10K.

I think I'm going to get up early tomorrow morning before church and run another 10K around my neighborhood. Would be nice if Icould do that every Sunday morning.

I know some of you have concerns that my calorie burns are too high. I borrowed a friends heart rate monitor last week and my calorie burn was very similar to what my HR monitor says. I even did a little research on the topic and found that I'm only slightly higher than I should be. For my weight, I should be burning around 450 calories when I run 3 miles. My HR monitor says I burn between 500 and 600. So it might be slightly higher, but in the research I've done, the experts say that you'll burn more calories the more weight you have on your bones and the more out of shape you are. So that might account for the slightly higher calories. I've only been running since December, too, so I'm not in full runner shape yet.

I'm not worried about it, though. I never eat all of the calories I burn. I've experimented with it over the years. Some say if you burn 300 calories that you have to add 300 calories to your daily intake. Some say you don't need to eat the extra 300 calories and some say you can eat as many of them as you want at your discretion. So I tried it out all kinds of different ways and I've found what works best for my body is to eat 50% or less of the calories I burn. That helps me to lose the best. I feel the healthiest that way. Strong and satisfied. So I don't have to worry about eating too many calories on the days I exercise.

I think it'll all come out clean in the wash. I seem to have a really good grasp on my weight loss right now. Most of it is so mental for me right now. As long as I can keep my head straight I can lose. The exercise, calories, and food choices will all work out okay as long as I have my head straight.

Oh, and I wanted to tell you what my favorite breakfast of all time is... It's actually at a little bar/diner in the mountains of West Virginia called the Stumblin Inn. It's fried eggs, bacon, fried potatoes with onions and cheese and pancakes with butter and warm maple syrup and a tall glass of OJ with coffee. I'm not a fan of bacon, but they have the best! Can't wait to go back there again. I can't even imagine how many points that breakfast is. But until then, I'll enjoy my 4 point almond oatmeal breakfast. :D

.

12 comments:

Dr Wednesday said...

You really do have a great grasp on your weight loss!! I think you are doing great, and are an inspiration.

WWSuzi said...

I think you are doing great!! And i have to say that i feel everyone is different and what works for one doesn't work for all. We each know our bodies and what we learn what we need to do!!

Anonymous said...

Great job with the weight loss. 10K is a good size run, good job!!

Lauri said...

Congrats on the loss! You actually lost twice what you had gained :-) You are doing great! Keep it up!

Shelley said...

Congrats on the great loss!

jinxxxygirl said...

Cara,

Have you ever had your metabolism checked?? I've been thinking about it. My health club does it for like $40. Tells you how many calories you burn just sitting still.Thought it might be interesting.
You do have a good grasp on your weightloss right now. I'm so inspired by you. I was just concerned that you thought you might be burning more calories than you actually were and that could trip you up. Have a great week. HHhhmmm i'm a little late but my FAVORITE breakfast would be a toss up between a toasted blueberry bagel slathered in butter or fluffy pancakes with strawberries and whipcream on top. Yeah no wonder i weighed 250 pounds! LOL. Now my morning staple is a bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats and Coffee. Jinx!

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

You are doing such an awesome job and have come a long way. Congrats on your loss!
Path to Health

Kelly the Happy Texan said...

Hi Cara. I usually visit your husband's blog but found yours too! Great job on your runs. I can't wait until I can run a 10K. I can't run a full 5k yet but I'll get there.

Love your blog. :)

Karyn said...

Congrats on the great loss!

But I'm especially impressed with your running! Wow! Way to go!

At the rate you're going, with the new mindset, you'll be at goal before you know it!

Deborah said...

Congrats on the loss!!

Sorry to tell ya but the Stumblin Inn is under different ownership now. Haven't tried it yet but everyone says it is a lot different and way better.

You forgot to tell your readers that you had that breakfast just before walking to the bottom of the falls with 500+ stairs to climb back up. Plus all the walking in between the stairs.

JC said...

I know I don't get to your site often but I do try to catch up when I get here. You ROCK!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your weigh-in this week! Keep it up!