Saturday, March 15, 2008

msWalk today...


I went on my first officially sponsored 5k walk today. It was a walk for MS. Was around a popular lake downtown. They had short route (3k) around the lake and then a longer walk (5k) through local neighborhoods. So naturally we took the longer walk. It wasn't a competition, just for fun. And what fun it was. Here's a picture of me (on the right) with my daughter and mother-in-law at my side.

The father of a lady I work with has MS so she told us all about the walk and I immediately signed up. I could do a 5k walk. Heck, I walk 3 miles every morning (well, just about every morning). And it was of course a piece of cake to walk. Last year this time I would have said NO WAY. I don't think I could have even done the short walk. With an additional 70 pounds on me and no exercise AT ALL for almost 20 years, I would have passed out in the first 10 minutes! So this was quite an accomplishment for me. And for a GREAT cause, too!!!

We had so much fun. Was a gorgeous neighborhood, too. Beautiful brick streets. Big lazy looking trees with moss. Lakes scattered throughout. And tons of houses for sale! :(

We started the day with a WW bagel with WW cream cheese. Sure, it's no Bagel Factory bagel (a wonderful bagel place in Anchorage, AK with the absolute BEST bagels on the planet!). But they are okay. The cream cheese was surprisingly good. Tasted like real cream cheese. I was surprised. I thought it would be gross being as it was WW. The bagel was dry and gritty, but I just used an extra "tub" of cream cheese (the servings are little 1 oz. tubs in the box). I toasted the bagels in the oven and they were delish.

The best part was that the bagel lasted me until almost 11am. I couldn't believe it. I ate the bagel at around 7am. It used to be that my breakfasts would wear off by 9 or 9:30 and then I'd need a mid-morning snack. And it was wonderful on my stomach during the walk, too. Had just water with it. No Crystal Light or anything with sweetener.

We had lunch afterwards at a new BBQ restaurant that opened up by the mall. The food was overpriced and very greasy. But I loved it! Haven't had grease like that in a long time. Had creamed spinach as my side dish. Yummy. And sweet potato french fries (without the cinnamon butter).

Came home and took a nap.

All in all was a pretty great day.

3 comments:

noelle said...

Sounds like an awesome day!

Thanks for coming to visit my blog. I have really been sturggling lately, but am trying to get back OP. Keep checking in on me, OK?

Unknown said...

Aww that is so cool you could do the walk and support a great cause!

Anonymous said...

Hi Cara! I Just somehow came across your blog. Looks like you have made some awesome progress with your weight loss! I'm looking forward to reading more about it!
-Robin