Tuesday, June 24, 2008

resistance is not futile...

I'm having a hard time resisting the treats this week. I think it was because I went so hog-wild crazy last week eating everything in sight.

Today was especially hard for several reasons.

One is because hubby made a cake last night for a lady we work with and when he gave it to her, of course we had to have a piece of it. I TOTALLY did not want to have a piece of cake (seriously!). But I could not say no. Hubby baked it. It was really the only thing to do. So I shaved a slice of about a quarter inch thick off of this little 6" round and 4" tall, 4 layer cake. Man was it way too sweet. Uck!

Then after lunch, another lady I work with, brought 2 large bags of white cheddar popcorn. Don't know if you've ever tried it, but man is it the best popcorn on this planet.

I resisted, though. I only had maybe 10 kernels all afternoon, 2 or 3 at a time.

Then another lady I work with gave our department a box of luscious Whitman Sampler chocolates saying thank you for something we'd done for her. Normally, I'm not a big fan of Whitman's but today I wanted to dive right in.

But I didn't.

Then, someone said there were bagels and cream cheese in the break room left over from a morning meeting. I was totally not in the mood for beagles, but man I wanted one with lots of cream cheese real bad!

But I didn't get one.

Then, (yes this is the last "then" for today) another lady I work with brought in Munchkins (Dunkin Donut holes) and came right to my desk and asked me if I wanted one. Of course I said no. And she says, aw, come on! So I think, of all the times I've baked sweets and asked her to have some I was due a turnabout, right. So I took one and laid it on my desk. My first thought was to bring it home and let daughter have it.

But I ate it.

But it was only one. And it didn't have any frosting or icing and it was very tiny and only about an inch in diameter. And I so did not enjoy it. It was dry and tasteless. It couldn't have been more than a point. Was probably more like a half a point. But I logged it as a full point in my food journal.

It was a rough day. And here I sit tonight wanting to go to the store and buy chips and cream cheese and donuts and popcorn and pie and cake and, and, and...

But I will resist. Thank goodness it's almost 10pm. If it were earlier in the evening, I think I'd have a problem on my hands. I can make it another hour, though.

I'm strong.

When I weighed myself on my home scales this morning, I was up about 6/10ths from yesterday. Not sure why. I stayed within my points and exercised yesterday morning. Oh, well. I'm not worried. I'm eating healthy and exercising. That's what counts, right?

I will get up in the morning and strap on my heart monitor and go running. I'm totally motivated again. I was talking with a friend at work who's 8 months pregnant and we were talking about how she's going to get back in shape after the baby. She can't wait to get back in shape. She's stopped running so as not to cause any possible complications with breast feeding. But she's been walking continually. She has already signed up for and paid to be in a full marathon next January. So after she has the baby she'll have 4 months to get back in shape and be ready for the race. Whew!

But hearing her talk about how excited she was to get back into shape energized me a bit. I would love to run a marathon one day. Heck, I'd settle for a 5k right now. But the shape I'm in right now, I'd be lucky to run a 3k without dieing. :0)

.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

Temptations...Argh! They can be killers. I'm proud of the way you took care of them, though. You just did a little and didn't pig out. And counted the points too. Yay, you.

When you gonna post an updated picture?

Jenn said...

Hey Cara, Jennifer here, your WW buddy. I am going through a tough week too. I've been sick so I haven't worked out at all this week and since I've been home, I've been wanting to eat more. Last night, I just couldn't stop thinking about the sweets! I had some "safe" things on hand that indulged in, but still have gone over my points for the week already. My weight is holding steady, but I want to have a loss this week! So hang in there, I'm right there with you!