Sunday, May 24, 2009

Me vs. Me

So I woke up this morning (dragged my lazy butt out of bed) and went for a bike ride.

I found a new trail. I LOVE finding new trails. You'd think I would have run out of "new trails" by now. I mean, I start at my house and there are only so many ways to go from there. But nonetheless, I found a new one and it was gorgeous.

I started out for the first 4 miles on the same trail I've always gone and then when I crossed the interstate (on a foot bridge), I turned right instead of left. It eventually turned into a very wide, shaded trail that had horse crossing every once in a while. There were million dollar houses as well as shack-looking houses all along the way. Horse farms. Parks. Huge back yards with gardens. And all along the way it was covered with a huge canopy of trees. Wasn't real crowded but there were walkers, runners and cyclists all along the way. Funny, but the cyclists are the rudest ones. They'll never say "mornin" back to me. Oh, well.

It was only 16 miles and I got back in an hour and forty minutes, but it was well worth it. I didn't eat my oatmeal before I left and so just as I hit the half way point I started losing momentum. I was running low on fuel. Won't do that again. I got back and was so weak and shaky.

Took a shower then went to our Sunday morning breakfast spot and had an egg white omelet (w/tomatoes, onions and mushrooms), orange juice and grits. Figured that would be good refueling food. I felt great after that.

We needed to stop by the store to pick up some butter and to my surprise, hubby suggested we walk to the store from the restaurant rather than drive the car over there. It ended up being a mile long walk (round trip). Not bad.

So all of this being said, I'm trying to get back on the horse. Your comments yesterday were very encouraging. It's so nice to know I'm not alone in this. I saw a poster in the front window of one of the shops we passed by on the way to the grocery store that said "It's You vs. You". That's so true on this journey. My biggest obstacle in all of this is me. In the beginning it was my not knowing anything at all about weight loss or healthy diet or the effects of exercise. But 2 years later, that's not the reason any more. It's me. It's Me vs. Me. I can do this. I just have to get my head on straight.

Oh, and get this. I stepped on the scales this morning before my bike ride and I was down 2 pounds from yesterday morning. Go figure. I pretended like yesterday was Friday as far as my eating goes and I guess it worked. Now I just have to pretend like the rest of this week is Friday every day to try and keep those 2 pounds off. :]

6 comments:

Kathi said...

Cara,

I am so glad to hear that you are back on the horse! I loved your posted today. It is Me vs. Me. I like that!
I am back on the horse as well!

Let make it a great week!

Kathi

One Pretty Little Box said...

I am so very proud of you! "Me vs Me" is such great logic! =) Wow 16 miles!! Amazing!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're doing better....Good for you! And good for you and the exercise!

jinxxxygirl said...

My favorite song on my ipod right now is from the Rocky movie where he fights the Russian........Theres a song on there called 'The Burning Heart or When Two Worlds collide' If you get a chance to listed to the lyrics please do. They inspire me and go along with your Me vs. Me. JInx!

Dr Wednesday said...

I love the pic of you and your daughter. I bet she is so so proud of you!

MaryFran said...

Lots of things to say about your post...but I"m going to stick with the one that makes me happiest...and that's you finding a new trail! I love to bike something that is new! It makes the ride so awesome!