Sunday, July 20, 2008

pancakes and biking...

I found a great recipe for pancakes that are REAL pancakes but they're only 1 point each. Home made, from scratch and taste spectacular. I saw it on the America's Test Kitchen. I love this website and their companion "Cooks Illustrated" magazine. They really go into the science of cooking and baking. So if you like pancakes, check out this recipe:

One Point Pancakes

Mix and let sit to thicken:
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 cups vanilla soy milk

Mix together in separate bowl:
2 cups bleached all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tablespoons sugar (this much sugar makes the pancakes sweet enough to where you don't have to use syrup if you don't want to)

Add 1/4 cup egg beaters to milk mixture then add 3 tablespoons melted light butter which has cooled slightly.

Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour wet ingredients into it. Leave lumps and strings.

Heat griddle to 350 degrees. Test heated griddle/pan with a tablespoon of batter to make sure it's hot enough. Once the test pancake is brown, spray griddle with butter flavored Pam and then ladle heaping 1/4 cup of batter onto griddle/pan. Cook until light brown underneath then flip until other side is light brown.

You can add blueberries to this recipe once you've poured the batter onto the griddle, just push several fresh blueberries into the batter.

Enjoy.

--

Speaking of breakfasts, I found a healthy breakfast at Cracker Barrel that's only 6 or 7 points. It's called "Eggs 'n' Meat". It 3 eggs, 2 sausages, tomato slices and bread. But I get it with 3 egg beaters, 2 turkey sausages, tomato slices (which they ALWAYS forget to bring out, I have to ask for them every time) and a bran muffin. If you want cheese in your scrambled eggs, you'll have to add 3 points for the colby. It's plenty to eat, too.

Enough about food, right?!

Tomorrow morning is bike morning. I'm aiming to go a little further than I did last week. I went 7.6 miles (round trip) last week, twice. I'm hoping to get in 8 to 8.5 miles in tomorrow morning. I have a route already planned out. It includes two foot bridges which means steep uphill climbs, 4 times! I'm up for the challenge, though. I might need to add 10-15 minutes to my overall biking time. I'll let you know how it goes.

Here's a pic of the biggest foot bridge I'll have to cross. You can see the path leading up to the bridge.

Man has it been hot lately. Ugh! I hate the heat! I hope it's not so hot in the morning.

.

2 comments:

WWSuzi said...

Have fun on your ride and hopefully it won't be too hot!!

FluffyDonna said...

Ooh, I was so excited to read about the pancakes until I realized they include soy milk. =( Do you think they'll be okay with regular milk?

My hubby said he wouldn't walk with me, but he'll bike anytime. Lucky me, he got a really nice *free* bike from his dad, so I dusted off my old bike and pumped up the tires yesterday. We might be biking around more often, just like you!! =) Any pointers?